Tuesday, May 4, 2010

These Ideas Are Not My Own

I've run out of ideas. It wasn't so long ago that I thought I could rant and rave for hours on end, about any topic, but currently my brain is at a bust, and the things I have written down to tell you about just aren't all that interesting to me at the moment. So I went on a quest for knowledge online (what would I do without the internet?) and found some writing prompts. Most of them are absolutely ridiculous, annoyingly so, really....but there was one site that was kind of interesting. The whole idea was writing prompts from other writers. mindbump.com is a potential life-saver.
One potential topic was to pick someone I really hate and write about what I admire about him. But who has the time? Or the inclination? So I went ahead and picked: what color is my room painted and what do I think that says about me?
My room is white. That says I'm Caucasian. It also says that I'm only renting my current home, and thus have no rights to paint. Though, I think Bob and Rob would probably be fine with that.
When I was a kid, I remember I wanted to paint my room like a sky. You know, blue, white fluffy clouds, that kind of thing. Then I wanted to let my friends in and paint it however we wished; writing messages and rude things. Thank god my mum put the kabosh on that one! What the hell was I smoking when I came up with that gem? I remember getting all upset and exclaiming, "It's my room!" 

It's still a wonder to me that my parents were able to resist the temptation of murder, many times over.  Thanks, guys. 

When I was a tween, I got really into RED.  I read that people who favor red tended to be more outgoing, spontaneous, and popular.  I was none of those things, so I thought the best way to mold myself was to start with the basics.  At the time, it was a real disappointment that it didn't work.  Those years were tough.

Eventually, my mum picked the color for me, and it's a color I continue to find calming, and I think I'll always associate it with sleep.  It was a light blue, but it looked white in the sun, and violet in the darker recesses.  I loved the purple.  Maybe I was just destined to be royalty.  Or at the very least, I was destined to have this oh-so-attractive sense of entitlement.  Doesn't it just shine on me?

Now, and I know this sounds crazy, I think I'd opt for padded walls.  Something cozy.  My room would be completely covered, and I would have blankets and pillows everywhere, so if tired enough, I wouldn't even have to go through the extra effort of making it to the bed.  I want a room that I can utterly collapse in.  I would also like a maid, and a private chef (giving Collin a break), and a personal massage therapist.  And, you know....free money.  And if I have to have a money tree, then I'm going to need a gardener. 

No comments: