Sunday, March 27, 2011

Springtime Hopeful

Oakland library has a bunch of daffodils out front, in full bloom. I know California's winters are different, and flowers are always blooming, but these daffodils struck me as a "Finally, Spring has arrived!" kind of vibe.
With that comes so many ideas of what this warm weather will bring.
Maybe a bicycle ride through the Napa vineyards. Progressively more drunk and dangerous to myself and to the very idea of "upright."
New walks with the dog. Maybe Muir Woods. That place always looks beautiful.
Road trips!
Sorbet!
This year, Spring will lead all the way to Summer, where my 30th birthday awaits. Like a bear hibernating,  it will soon crawl out of its cave and lunge at me.
I've decided Spring will be the few months I need to get back into shape. So that I can hit 30 feeling good about myself, and not hide beneath any more ponchos.
This Spring, I've learned to knit. A few hats (one of which is more of a fez, really, given my lack of pattern knowledge), one half of a pair of fingerless mittens, and a lonely pair of legs to a monster who remains out of my reach as of yet.
Spring is a general time of housecleaning and exercise, and a general willingness to persist in both. I welcome it all this year, and maybe I'll even welcome 30.

No comments: