Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Huzzah for Reality Television....Just Not Really

The boyfriend and I have been studiously following Last Comic Standing this summer.  Watching reality television seems to go against his very thread of being (he still has to ask me what a Snookie is), but he'll sit through anything involving comedians.  We share that feeling of love for anybody who has dedicated their lives to making us laugh.
Tonight we watched the season finale, desperately rooting for Tommy Jonnigan.  I'm sure I didn't spell that correctly, but nobody ever said I was the guy's publicist.  We sat through an hour of pure hell waiting for that final judging, fingers crossed.
Part of that pure hell involved a few minutes of Gloria Gaynor singing "I Will Survive."
She's the ultimate one-hit-wonder, I announced.
Still, how can you not love that single woman anthem?  Here's how: she changed the lyrics a bit to add some "praise god" lines.  Ick!  I forget the actual lyrics, since I was too busy choking on my vomit, but it was basically, "yay Jesus."
I feel betrayed.  My single woman anthem can now only be sung by Cake....or I'll just have to listen to Beyonce's "Put A Ring On It"...or whatever it's called.
*sigh*
oh, and spoiler alert, Tommy Jonnagin didn't even win.  *double sigh*

The short end of it is this: if I'm going to see lyrics changed, I'm gonna watch this girl.

4 comments:

Rachel @ MWF Seeking BFF said...

This is hilarious and offensive (of gloria, not you, obv). Gaynor, no need to bring Jesus into a perfectly good anthem. Now I will never listen to that song the same way again. Grrrr. Choking on vomit indeed.

Unknown said...

OMG to the lyrics ! As for reality tv. Im not a big fan.. I have enough reality in my daily life. I want some old fashioned escape.

Elly Lou said...

Damnit Jesus! Next thing you know he's going to be interjecting himself into Hey Ya! and Hot In Herrrre. The horror!

outoftunepiano said...

Rachel: thanks for reading! It saddened me to knock Gloria about like that, but I can't have anybody messing with my anthems!

Midwestern: I can totally understand the bad taste reality tv leaves behind....much more so than I could begin to describe why I like it. I WANT to not like it. Alas....somebody gets bitch-slapped, and I just gotta see.

Elly Lou: Jesus got no place in Hey Ya! I'm aghast at the thought!