Thursday, August 12, 2010

In Which I Celebrate My New Year

It's that time of year again.  Only a few weeks left before all those horrible, awkward looking bipeds kids running around have to go back to school.  I know my teacher friends are probably groaning about that sad fact, having to pack up their book clubs, put away their sleeping bags, and individual styles for something a little more teacher-ish, but to them I say: pfff!  Don't care!

Because I always loved this time of year.  When an entire section in Target gets deemed the "Back to School" section, positively over-flowing with new notebooks, pens, pencils, highlighters, etc.
I don't remember the last time I actually made a purchase from one of these aisles, but they still get me positively aglow.  All that yellow, blue, and pink stickey paper.  Those fancy mechanical pencils.  The idea that this year is going to be better than the last.  This year I will learn and even excel.  I will make new friends, and participate in exciting activities.  I will run that friggin mile, and I won't be as slow as last year.

I suppose the back to school season is like my New Year's.  All these promises to myself, and unspoken hopes can live in the days before it all actually starts.  Before that first day, when you realize the popular girls, and not so popular girls, and even the unpopular girls, still won't talk to you.  Before you come to grips with the sad fact that you're still considered just as much of a freak now as you were at the beginning of the summer.  When you buy yourself a pretty outfit, stare at yourself in the mirror, and practice conversations with your invisible potential friends, and you can really believe they will like you back.

These are the days when everything feels like an opportunity, and there's nobody around to tell you different.

3 comments:

Elly Lou said...

I too am a sucker for office supplies. But I like to imagine they'll make me organized and smarter. So far, I just have a lot of office supplies.

Alison Cross said...

I buy jotters for my son, on the pretext that they are for him (we went back to school last week) but really they are just for me and Something That I Might Write down....

Ali x

outoftunepiano said...

Elly Lou: Really, though, what is the DEAL with office supplies? Especially day planners. Those make me feel like I've got my whole life together, even when they're crammed full of nothing more than doodles and rude words.

Alison: I think I might have to have a child, just so I can peruse the school supply aisles at my leisure.